Your mother is getting older, and you want her to come and live with you. She prefers her own space; however, even though she is having difficulty keeping up with her household cleaning, reaching cabinets and keeping up with the maintenance of her home now. So the answer may be to add a mother-in-law suite, also called a secondary suite to your home so that she will move in with you. So what is required to add a mother-in-law suite to your home?
- You will need to check the building codes in your area. Some building codes may limit what you can add to your home. You can usually add a bedroom, bath and a sitting area; but if you add a kitchen, then it’s considered a rental. To get around this, you can add a wet bar with custom cabinets and a small refrigerator. Also, adding a microwave for heating leftovers is a good idea.
- If you have a septic tank, you should check your permit. Most septic tanks will only allow for three bathrooms. You may have to increase your system though if you have more bathrooms than that after an addition.
- Look around your property for the best location to add on. You may be able to convert a garage or porch which is already there here. If not, look for an area of space on the first floor next to a room which is used rarely such as that holiday dining room. By combining this room with a built on room then, you can make a suite which will work nicely.
- You may want to have separate power lines for the addition. One reason is that if it isn’t used in the future, you can shut the suite down when it doesn’t have an occupant. The other reason is that the person living there may want to pay for his or her own utility usage.
- When building the suite, keep who is going to live in it in mind. So if the person is in a wheelchair, will the hallway need to be wider to accommodate it? What about the shower? Should non-slip floors and easy access showers be installed? What about guardrails? Also, keep in mind how much privacy your occupant may want.
Being able to take care of the parent who used to take care of you can be a blessing.
Lighting in an in ground pool will allow you pleasurable swimming both in the daytime and at night. Lighting your swimming pool will not only give you ambiance, but will help with safety concerns when the little ones are in the pool too because pool lights will let you have better visibility throughout your entire pool. So, what kind of pool lights are best for an in ground pool? Read on.
LEDS: This abbreviation stands for Light Emitting Diodes. Now these lights don’t have any filaments so they don’t put out any heat. The other nice thing about these lights is that LEDS can change colors. This allows you to have light shows to awe your friends and family. Too, LED bulbs life spans are 30,000 hours. This is compared to the 5,000 hours for incandescent and 6,000 for fiber optic lights.
FIBER OPTICS: Fiber optics were used heavily in the early 2000’s. According to https://petersenparts.com/ however; with the LED explosion, they are being used less and less. With this type, the light bulb of a fiber optic pool light is found in a dry box located on top of the pool patio. The light then travels through the cable to the portal where the light comes out into the pool. This is done because the fiber optic cables have special fittings in the pool wall that allows for this. The problem with these lights is that they are the least bright of all the available lighting and expensive. However; because the box is on dry land it is easy to have a large variety of colors. Also, you can have light emitting optic cables in the pool walls here where the entire cable glows which gives you a large variety too in that you can have lights along the pool walls or on the pool floor in solid lines or in shapes and in different colors.
INCANDESCENTS: These lights work by current passing through the filament. Then the filament glows which produces the light in the incandescent bulb. Now with this type of light, if you want a different color of bulb, you have to place a colored lens over the pool light inside the pool. Also since the lights have filaments they are hot.
There you have some choices for pool lights just in time for the swimming season.
Trying to keep your game room clutter free, functional; but still organized can be a job in itself. Now storage solutions can solve this problem and help you to keep a neater game room area. So the question is, where can you put the toys, gaming devices, books and other homeless items that can make your game room look like a disaster area? Well, perhaps you just need more shelving, more cabinets or something that is custom made to your specifications? So below are some suggestions to help corral the overflow:
- Use custom built in bookshelves: You can take an empty wall and fill it with a custom made bookcase. A bookcase can hide a multitude of clutter and yet make everything look organized and functional. The base of the bookcase can be used to store items that you want to keep out of sight while you can display those knick knacks that you love higher up. With custom built shelving, you can have as much or as little shelving as you think you’ll need and built to your specifications too. And as stated, by having open shelving on top, with or without glass, you can arrange your books or decorative collections or ornaments also. Too, you can plan just how you want it made, or ask your professional cabinet maker what his or her suggestions are.
- Build around your flat screen TV: Because the TV is the center of many game rooms, you can have a custom media center built in to accent the room. Having a built in media center can give you shelves and custom storage for all your electronic gadgets, gaming devices and DVD’s too. It can be made to be the focal point of your entertainment area, a beautiful focal point which hides what you don’t want to show.
- Have window seats and built-in benches: A window seat can be a fantastic storage opportunity as well as a little nook to sit in and read. And by lifting up the seat, ample storage for toys, games and other cluttering items can be had and be out of sight. A built in bench can be used in the room too that has a top which lifts with storage in the interior, and no one has to be the wiser. You’ll have extra seating then and extra storage.
Hiding clutter isn’t difficult, you just need functional and clever places for it.
Making your home secure and deterring a home invasion is perhaps the top priority on a homeowner’s list and a strong security door can help with this issue. This is because a security door is strong and can much better withstand and deter home invasion than a regular door. As a plus too, these doors are designed specifically to endure yearly changes in climate, rough winds and natural disasters; and they can add to the energy efficiency of your home as many doors are designed with this feature
But to address home invasion. According to research, most home invasions are actually made through doors, not windows as it is believed by most people. So a security door is the first line of defense against an illegal entry into your home. Plus, by providing this better protection it gives added peace of mind; especially if you are elderly.
In addition, security doors don’t have to be ugly. They come in many designs and materials, so they can add beauty and style as well. These doors can also can be customized to your individual needs. As a choice for example, steel doors can come in single or in double panes with choices in how you want them to be locked. Additionally, they can be painted. You can even have fashionable security glass in the doors; glass which is specifically designed to be strong as well a pretty.
The doors can be made out of composite material which has the strength of steel. They come is all sizes also and can be special ordered for the size you need for an added cost if you have an older home that was perhaps built with a door entry that is not a standard size used by today’s home builders. All the doors which are true security doors also have keys that are made for each individual door by the way, so your door key is unique and not just a mass made factory key which another door may have.
To close, a security door can add beauty, strength against the elements and best of all, it will add to you added peace of mind.
A wet bar is often in hotel guest rooms, but some homeowners have them installed in their game rooms or finished basements. A wet bar is great for entertaining because you have everything that is needed right at your fingertips. The wet bar has a sink with running water so cleaning up, washing glasses or even adding water to a drink is more convenient. Plus, by having a wet bar in your area of entertaining, you can serve drinks faster because you can clean glasses as they are being used instead of having them stack up with you then searching for more glasses later.
Most of the in-home wet bars are constructed from wood, but the counters may be laminated so cleaning up spills is easier. However; some wet bars may be made from stainless steel instead. This type of bar is more expensive, but it also has a greater endurance. Something to think about too is that you don’t have to go traditional, but you can have a wet bar custom made instead. With the large array of different finishes and designs, there is a look which should definitely suit your tastes.
In addition, a wet bar may have either a bar space or counter with cupboards under it for storage of glasses or other bar items. Most of the cabinets have adjustable shelves so that you can adjust the height to whatever is necessary to store bottles of different sizes and glassware too in their varieties. Also, the cabinets usually have doors that can be opened and closed to keep a neater appearance.
Also, a wet bar can come with a space for a small refrigerator so that you can keep drink mixers cold. This will save you from running up and down stairs if you want items which need refrigerated. The refrigerator too is handy when you want to chill drinks or in keeping cold mixtures which have been made previously.
When you have a wet bar for entertaining, it can make your job as a host or hostess easier. Everything is right at your fingertips to keep your guests happy and everything running smoothly.