When you are remodeling your kitchen even if you’re just adding new kitchen cabinets, there are some mistakes which could cost you money. Since remodeling a kitchen isn’t a cheap investment to begin with, below are some mistakes that are made and how you can avoid them:
- Not doing a background check: When you hire a contractor, you need to do a background check. A reliable contractor won’t mind giving you the needed information. The contractor should have a state license and insurance too. You may also want to check references to see how satisfied past clients were.
- Changing your mind: Before you start the project, be sure everything you want is in the budget. Because changing your mind halfway through about the color of the custom designed cabinets as an example can cost you an average of 10 percent or more. So decide on the design, take as long as you need to make that choice and then stick with it.
- Having an open-ended contract: This can be a disaster because the project can take much longer than anticipated if the contractor gets another job. Be sure beforehand then that you have a start and end date as well as a penalty if the project goes over its scheduled time.
- Only having a rough sketch: You need a three-dimensional drawing to be able to visualize what the new kitchen space is going to look like. If your contractor has virtual reality software too, this is even better because you can really see the new kitchen. You can fully understand your new kitchen design then before anything is started. It helps you to see the space better than a rough sketch or two -dimensional drawing.
- Not being functional: A kitchen do over should last between 12-15 years. If you go with what’s trendy or the latest funky color though, ignoring your actual needs or expected needs, then your kitchen can become dated quickly. So, go with what looks good with the house and works, not what is pretty by itself and nonfunctional.
Investing in a kitchen remodeling project is expensive. So make sure you know what you want before you have the first nail removed.
A tiny kitchen can appear to be messy even when it’s clean because if there isn’t enough cupboard space, then clutter will soon take over. But there is a solution for this with custom made cabinets and shelves. For instance, if your store-bought kitchen cabinets don’t go all the way to the ceiling, the space above them isn’t being used effectively. But by having a shelf installed above the cabinet, items which aren’t used daily can be stored and hidden. This in turn will open up space in your remaining cabinets for items which are used all the time, without a cluttered look
In addition, look at your kitchen wall space. This is unused territory which can be made into viable storage space. By having shelves installed, you’ll have places to store items though. Or you could think about having a fold down table installed on the wall. This not only saves on floor space, but it’s out of your way when not being used. The table is handy when you do need it additionally.
Also, if there is space in your tiny kitchen for an island, you can have one installed. An island then will give you work and family space when needed. Plus, an island with stools does away with the need for chairs. You can just tuck the stools underneath then when they’re not being used as an added benefit. Another thought is to have a warming drawer on the side of the island to keep things steaming while you’re preparing the rest of the meal.
Or what about the backsplash behind the stove being used for storage space because this space is often overlooked for this kind of thing. By installing a shelf or shelves above the stove on the backsplash though, you can have the perfect storage place for items which are needed for cooking and have room made for other items in your cupboards too that are now on the stove top.
You can get a lot more storage out of a tiny kitchen with a little planning.
It’s not impossible to have storage space in a small bathroom with custom cabinets designed to fit the needs of your bathroom. With these you can have extra storage space and style too. As an example, here you can have cabinets for a bathroom corner, and when custom designed; this can make the most of a corner in your bathroom while saving space. You can have your sink designed to fit a corner of your bathroom also. A custom designed vanity additionally under the sink with roll out shelves can double the storage space. It will then utilize a hidden space so you don’t have to reach back for the things that normally get pushed back in a small storage space bathroom to the back of a shelf.
Also, another place for storage is over the toilet. So, a bathroom cabinet designed to fit over the toilet with shelves can keep your small bathroom neat and tidy. Then, makeup and personal items will be out of sight, but still handy when needed.
So when you have cabinets for your bathroom custom designed, this makes the most work with the least amount of space. To use another example, perhaps you have towels which don’t have a home at the present time. You can have a cabinet designed for your towels though, as well for toilet paper and other articles which are necessary.
In addition, don’t forget about the space under your bathtub. Here, hideaway shelves can be built for bathtubs with doors which open for access. In here you can store items which would clutter up your bathroom, but are necessary for bathroom use. These shelves will give your small bathroom a sleek look then, and you will still have everything you need in tidy spaces.
Having a small bathroom doesn’t mean it has to be cluttered, untidy or look like a cubby hole. With the proper cabinetry, you bathroom can have a look that you enjoy.