When you are remodeling your kitchen even if you’re just adding new kitchen cabinets, there are some mistakes which could cost you money. Since remodeling a kitchen isn’t a cheap investment to begin with, below are some mistakes that are made and how you can avoid them:
- Not doing a background check: When you hire a contractor, you need to do a background check. A reliable contractor won’t mind giving you the needed information. The contractor should have a state license and insurance too. You may also want to check references to see how satisfied past clients were.
- Changing your mind: Before you start the project, be sure everything you want is in the budget. Because changing your mind halfway through about the color of the custom designed cabinets as an example can cost you an average of 10 percent or more. So decide on the design, take as long as you need to make that choice and then stick with it.
- Having an open-ended contract: This can be a disaster because the project can take much longer than anticipated if the contractor gets another job. Be sure beforehand then that you have a start and end date as well as a penalty if the project goes over its scheduled time.
- Only having a rough sketch: You need a three-dimensional drawing to be able to visualize what the new kitchen space is going to look like. If your contractor has virtual reality software too, this is even better because you can really see the new kitchen. You can fully understand your new kitchen design then before anything is started. It helps you to see the space better than a rough sketch or two -dimensional drawing.
- Not being functional: A kitchen do over should last between 12-15 years. If you go with what’s trendy or the latest funky color though, ignoring your actual needs or expected needs, then your kitchen can become dated quickly. So, go with what looks good with the house and works, not what is pretty by itself and nonfunctional.
Investing in a kitchen remodeling project is expensive. So make sure you know what you want before you have the first nail removed.