When you want a new look for your bedroom, but you have a small budget, change is possible. One idea is to rearrange the furniture. You could put your bed on the opposite side of the room for instance. Or in a corner, it will give the room a more intimate and roomy feel. Plus, you could add a small chest with drawers as a bedside table for extra storage.
Because storage is a concern in a small bedroom too, you raising your bed up on blocks is also an option. You’d then have more storage under the bed for blankets or other items. Additionally, you could purchase a storage ottoman for at the bottom of your bed, or for under a window. Extra sheets and bedding could be placed in there as well. Or, purchase a small corner cabinet for storage of bedroom items.
Or just painting the walls is fine; it doesn’t even have to be a different color. Putting on a fresh coat of the same color will freshen it up. Or perhaps you can add a wall paper border up near the ceiling or around the middle of the room for an old-fashioned look. You can also stencil a design or two to make an attractive border.
Plus, you can change the bedding. So buy yourself a set of new sheets, a duvet, comforter and a bedspread in a new color and style. Shams also add a little touch of class so if you can afford them, buy those too. If you can’t afford all of this, then buy only the new bed covering and matching shams.
You could hang some new prints on the walls additionally. It could be artwork you’ve painted, or framed posters or prints. It doesn’t have to be something very costly, just something that pleases you. Something that you’d like to see the first thing in the morning when you open your eyes.
Remodeling your bedroom is about having items and colors in it that you like.
When adding a home theatre to your home, considering the right cabinetry is important. For example, a media cabinet will accommodate all your entertainment components. So, some things here to look for when shopping for your media center are listed below:
- Shelving: Shelves which adjust should be your first choice. They should be able to be adjusted in 1.25-inch increments. Also, they should have high-quality threaded inserts so that you can adjust the shelving in the position you need.
- Cabinet doors: Not only should your media cabinet have doors; they should be tinted. Doors which are tinted hide all the wires and components. Be sure though that the doors keep the cabinet IR-remote accessible.
- Places for cables: Cables which get all tangled up can be a pain not to mention frustrating if a repair person is needed. Be sure the back panels of cabinets can be removed for easy access to any media center components.
- Tempered glass: Tempered glass is a great safety feature especially if you have children. Tempered glass is stronger than regular glass by 4 or 5 times which is why it’s also called toughened glass. If the cabinet you’re considering has this type of glass for shelves, this will support heavy components safely too.
- Wheels: Moving a media center can be daunting but not if it has hidden wheels. In addition, with wheels, it can be pulled out if cables or connections need to be looked over. It’s also easy to move for cleaning under it.
- Ventilation: Another thing is to be sure that the cabinet has adequate ventilation. If there isn’t enough ventilation, then your components and amplifiers can overheat. Having a special fan installed will help here because not only is overheating bad for electronic components, it’s a fire hazard.
Choosing the right media center for your home theatre is important.
There are many different styles of kitchen design which may not have crossed your mind. When remodeling your kitchen, knowing what style you prefer is the first step too. Discussing it with your professional contractor is the next one. Below are some different kitchen styles and the pros and cons of each:
- The U-shaped kitchen: This is a very versatile design for a kitchen which is large or small. It uses three walls, so the work stations are spaced for convenience. It has a lot of storage space on the countertops, and it’s great for people who cook frequently. However, it can look cluttered if you don’t store your utensils so you should consider installing a Lazy Susan and hiding the microwave in a wall cabinet.
- L-shaped kitchen: This look is created by having work space and counter space on two adjacent walls. The design is flexible because appliances can be placed in several locations. Space can open into a nearby room or a table also, so the person cooking will be able to interact with individuals in another room. This layout is not a good choice for a small space.
- Galley kitchen: This layout is only big enough for one cook. The work stations are on parallel walls which keeps the appliances close to each other. You need at least 4 feet of space between the cabinets so the drawers can be opened at the same time if needed. For more storage, stack storage options to keep clutter down.
- Single wall kitchen: This layout has the appliances and the cabinets lining one wall. The sink is usually in the middle; the refrigerator and stove are on either side of the sink. The cook will have to walk from one end to the other, but it does save space.
- G shaped kitchen: This is very much like the U shape because it uses three walls of the kitchen too. But, there’s an added partial fourth wall. This wall has countertops and cabinets in it. This partial wall can have a counter for a breakfast bar.
Before remodeling your kitchen, decide which style will work in your space.
When you have valuables and documents that you want to keep safe, there are actually several options instead of the standard safe. There are now different options using custom made furniture which have secret compartments. The furniture fits in with the décor of your room too. So below are some furniture ideas which can be custom built to your specifications.
- Night stand: This can have a secret compartment that has a slide out top. If it’s made with simple clean lines, it will match most bedroom suites without a problem. The papers or valuable are placed in the top and then slide back inside.
- Entry table: You could have designed and custom built an entry table that has a hidden compartment under the top. Lift the top and the large compartment inside is perfect for larger items.
- Coffee table: Having a custom designed coffee table designed with a secret compartment with a touch latch would give you easy and quick access to your valuables while keeping them hidden. If the compartment is large enough for a fire proof box, you could also store valuable papers in the box and then place the box in the coffee table storage area.
- Dresser: A custom crafted dresser could be designed with a secret drawer in the rear of the dresser. It could be covered by the back panel of the dresser and accessed by a latch located behind the bottom drawer. If the latch is pulled, then then the back panel would drop and the drawer would be able to be accessed.
- Under the floorboards: This may sound like an obvious place, but you could have a contractor install a secret compartment in a room in your home in the floorboards. It would be difficult for a burglar to find it let alone try to figure out which room it would be in.
Now there really isn’t a perfect hiding place. But since burglars have a limited amount of time to find what it is they’re looking for, a safe is an obvious place to start. Burglars also look in toilet tanks, the freezer, under mattresses and under couch cushions.
But if you keep the installed compartments known only to you, you have then won the first part of the battle.
When you need cabinets you can buy manufactured furniture to meet some of your basic needs. You can also try to fit your belongings into someone else’s idea of what type of space you need. Or you can invest in custom made shelves to suit your specific needs.
Now trying to fit something into your living space that is made to fit the needs of as many customers as possible, and then mass produced, can be frustrating. You may not like the wood finish; it may not have as many shelves as you need or it could be too small or too big. This is where custom furniture may be a better choice for you and your living space.
This is because custom built cabinets made from scratch are built to your specification. You can maximize the space you have to work with then. You can exactly choose what style of cabinets you want also. It will be your choice of what species of wood that you want to use too. You can choose the color of stain, the finish and the type of moldings which reflect your style and personal taste as another plus. So the custom built cabinet is built the way you want it without trading off here or compromises there within the realm of commonsense.
To install, if you hire a professional, you can give every kind of input to better define what you want. Or you can let the professional suggest ideas that he or she thinks will suit what you’re trying to accomplish. The professional cabinet maker will know what is feasible; or what won’t work, or perhaps improve on an idea that you already have and make it more workable. Your professional cabinet maker may also suggest a type of wood that you haven’t thought of using or a finish which would match the furniture, or style of your home better.
Yes, you can buy cabinets which are premade and may do, but you can also have a professionally crafted piece of furniture that you’ll be really satisfied in having.
The age old problem in a bathroom seems to be where to put the extra towels. You could hang some on the towel on the back of the door or on the towel racks, but what about the remaining ones. Too, since towels do seem to take up a lot of space, you don’t want all you storage area going to the towels either. Well, below are some ideas on what to do for your towel overflow:
- You can have a custom cubby made for your bathroom. If you have two made, you can run a towel bar from the end of one cubby to the other. With all these cubicles for storage, you’ll have more than enough room for all your bath towels, face cloths and hand towels then. Plus; when the towels are rolled up nicely and placed in a cubby, this can add color and a sense of warmth to your bathroom.
- If you have space on your bathroom vanity or the back of your commode, in an attractive bathroom these places can be the perfect place to corral your bath towels.
- Another option is having a towel storage space built in next to the bathtub. If it’s placed along the side, then the bather can easily access to clean towels.
- If you have radiators in your bathroom, install a marble ledge above it and place your towels on there. You will not only have space for your towels; they’ll be warmed up and waiting to be used.
- Another solution is to have a shelves made for towel rolls like a wine rack. The shelves are hung on the wall, and the rolled towels inserted in the slots.
There are ways to make room for your towels; sometimes the answer is a unique one.
A small bathroom has its own space issues for storage areas and in dealing with bathroom cabinets. So, finding a place to put your extra towels, makeup and personal items can be frustrating; not to mention almost impossible. But there are ways to add to the storage space in your tiny bathroom.
- You can add a shelf above your sink for things you use every day or decoration.
- Above your toilet is the perfect place for a cabinet and even some shelves. But if the space is still too small for those items, baskets can be used for storing toiletries or even extra towels.
- Speaking of towels, if you don’t have the room on your walls for a towel rack, using the back of your bathroom door is an option. You can then hang items on the back of the door with an over the door towel rack or by using pegs, whichever will work for you.
- What about mounting a shelf above your door? You can use this for the storage of items used less frequently, but they will still be within reach when needed.
- Even if you do have a cabinet in your bathroom, you can hang your hairdryer on a peg on the inside of the door to free up cabinet space. Then it’s still easily accessible; or better yet you can buy an organizer which will hold styling products and your hairbrush.
- If you buy cabinets with drawers inside the cabinet, it will maximize your storage space; plus you’ll be able to find things faster.
- Another thought is to have a custom cabinet made for a narrow space. The cabinet can also have shelves and drawers. The shelves could be used for towels and the drawers for other items which need to be stored.
- Something else in line with a custom cabinet is to have a built-in storage tower installed. Open shelving can be used to add splashes of color by placing your clean rolled towels in them.
In the end what may be best is having cabinets made to fit your small bathroom to give you the storage space you need.